Thursday 3 June 2010

Day 119 - 2nd June 2010 - Samui Hospital

Today we were up early and I was supposed to be starting team teaching with Nathan and Si was finishing off academics and then confined water but instead of that I ended up going to the clinic.

As a few weeks ago I had either been bitten or had a spot that got infected in my lower region which obviously being me, I had picked and picked and had resisted in the last few days as it had become very swollen and uncomfortable.  When I woke this morning it had doubled in size, the tenderness had spread up into my groin region and walking was painful, so before heading to Crystal, we popped into the clinic to have it checked out.

After being examined, which really hurt, the Dr said I'd had to go to Samui to have it cut/cleaned etc as it was badly infected and they couldn't deal with it.   Si was adamant that we'd go to Samui straight away and thinking about it now, I'm glad we did.

We shot home to collect insurance docs & passports, rode to Crystal to let Nathan & Carsten know before catching the  9.30am boat to Samui. 

Once in Samui a couple of hours later, we caught a taxi bus to Bangkok Hospital where we checked in and I was seen pretty much immediately.  First my blood pressure & temperature were taken and then I was taken through to see the Dr. who assessed my lump, saying 'Oh, absess, very very bad, lots of pus, will have to open"  My immediate reaction was to ask 'will it hurt?'   she replied "In beginning only" she then promptly asked if I wanted a anaesthetic, which I said "YES!!!!!"

Boy, when that needle went in, my eyes just streamed  ..then again  ...ARGH!!   but after a few seconds I could hardly feel anything thankfully.   After she made her incision and squeezed a little , she says 'lot and lot of pus'  and then show me a blood/pus soaked gause  ..Hmm, how lovely!!
1/2 hr and 4 stitches later, she had finished.    Thank goodness for that.   I dressed, met Si in the waiting room, arranged another appointment and then then collected my prescription.   Standing and walking felt fine until the anaesthetic wore off and then I looked like a little old lady hobbling along at a snails pace.

As we'd missed the last boat back to Koh Tao, we caught a taxi to a hotel next to the ferry port.  I spent most of the time laid down as I was very sore whilst Si went out to get provisions. We laid in the hotel room all afternoon trying to keep cool, and slept very well at night..

3 comments:

Roy said...

I'm glad your better Jen, what a thing to go through! x

Yvonne said...

That will teach you not to pick at things, they get infected, you are as bad as Tracey she likes to pick at things.
I am very glad you manage you get it sorted, not a nice place to have an abcess, They can and are verey painful wherever you get them.

jenny said...

Thanks!

Im trying not to pick ;-D

Lesson nearly learnt!

xx