Friday 2 April 2010

Day 58 - 1 April 2010

Today I was supposed to start Team teaching but it was put back a day so I put myself on the afternoon boat for a fun dive.  Luckily enough, Simon was doing the Open Water exam with his students and swim test and was then also on afternoon boat doing open waters dives 1 & 2 YAY!

On the boat I was talking about last years trip and mentioned that it was just typical that as soon as we left koh Tao, Whale Shark were being spotted nearly every day, then I looked up and just shouted WHALE!!!!!!  .I'd spotted two Bryde's whales 150mtrs from the boat  ...there was a wave of excitement and the boat changed direction heading towards them.   People were kitting up and ready to jump in, especially the videographer group on the boat but the whales changed directions several times, once surfacing just infront of the boat which was amazing and then headed out to, so be abandoned the chase and continued onto 'Twin' dive site.


I was so happy to have spotted them and on the first fun dive kept on checking the deep, just on the off chance that I might see them again.   That would have been amazing.

The Dive itself was great, a few of us decided to go and look for the Secret Pinnacle and managed to find it with some vague directions from one of the Instructors.  It made a nice change and obviously there was no one else there.   On the way back to the boat I found a 0.8kg weight and some rubbish so just stuffed that in my pocket.

The 2nd dive was a 'Japanese Gardens'  a very relaxed and cool dive.  I spotted a tiny baby sweetlips and saw the resident eagle ray a couple of times.  Humphrey, the resident Trigger Fish was about but seemed to be pretty chilled.  I also found another weight!  A day of finding things!

On dry land, kit washed and packed away I met Si in the bar and we grabbed a coke and chatted about the days events.

Later in the evening it was the IE party (newly passed instructors) so we went to Dirty Nelly's to have a beer to congratulate everyone and then headed home for an earlish night!  It had been a long day and we were both very tired....

Jen

2 comments:

Roy said...

I bet Simon was gutted!

Unknown said...

I was on the boat with my students... but no chance of me jumping in.!!!