Monday 15 February 2010

Day 13 - Koh Tao

Well, no change in the weather, it's blistering hot!  ;-D

We were both signed up on the afternoon boat for a couple of fun dives, so no concrete structures to move.
Our first dive was 'Twins' yet again, visibility was pretty rotten and I led, my navigation is pretty terrible and when Si asked my halfway through the dive, where's the boat.  I was spot on.  Then after spotting a couple of massive Trigger fish I altered course, he asked me again a little later and I had no idea :-D

Titan Triggerfish

Let me just tell you, I got triggered last time I was here.  Triggers are mean looking fish and very territorial when it comes mating season (Now).  Their nest is a small area on the bottom of the sea bed but it goes up rather like an ice cream cone to the surface, so you can imagine, it can cover a large area.  Last year whilst diving and out of nowhere, I felt a massive punch on the side of my leg, rather like a cricket ball had him me at full pelt.  I turned to look. I thought I was going to see a massive chunk out of my leg as the force was incredible but luckily, there was only a massive mouth shaped indent there  ..I've never used so much air in a short amount of time in my life.   That really shook me up and now I'm very wary.

Check out those teeth!!


Second dive was at 'Pottery'  I've only dove this at night which made a nice change to see it in daylight.  We saw a Crown of Thorns (Coral eater), butterfly fish, Angel fish, Shrimp, Puffer  ..to name but a few.

Back on dry land we washed our kit and headed to 'Safety Stop' for a drink and to log on

1 comment:

Roy said...

Nasty little blighters. Keep well away!