Sunday 31 May 2009

OZ Day 1 Camper



G'Day cobber... Is that the lingo?

We arrived yesterday, and had a kip at the airport hotel. Woke up early... don't know why!! We then waited for our taxi which never turned up, and we had to get another cab from outside the airport... Mr Stressy was our driver...! Not a good start to the day. We then picked up our camper and headed into the city of Melbourne to rent some cycles and look around. Unfortunately this did not pan out either... The damm sat nav kept trying to take me up streets with bridges too low to get under... Needless to say 1hr 30mins later there was a barrage of swear words from me aimed at the sat nav kit...

We eventually decided that before I lost my sanity, we would head to a suburb of Melbourne called Footscray. After we parked up at a camp site, we caught a bus into town.

Looking around the city in the small amount of time we did, it seems like every other major city, and I feel like I'm repeating myself... but I am not in that frame of mind at the moment, so it was a tad dissapointing. We did manage to sort out wireless mobile broadband, so you guys might be lucky and get some Skype calls if it all works out good.

After sorting the internet stuff out we wandered into a full blown demonstration, with riot police, helicopter... the lot.. So we dived down a back alley and grabbed some soup from a cafe. Then popping into a pub we supped the local beer (forgotten the name already) and then caught the bus home, whilst avoiding fire engines zooming down the street, and some drunken idiot falling over in front of the bus and almost dying! Popped into the supermarket where a row kicked off between 2 people... Oh the joy of big city life... Catching my drift yet.?

So, tomorrow we plan to head South about 120km to one of the greatest Moto GP tracks in the world. Phillip Island. Sadly the race isn't here till October... but at least we can say we were there!!

Thats all for now folks.!

SD

3 comments:

Roy said...

What is Jen drinking? Not the local beer is it? I'd be worried if it was that colour!

It's as though you are describing London! I've been busy myself with the demonstrations. In fact I've got to go in tomorrow for one.

Good luck!

R T E T xxx

Yvonne said...

Footscray almost home then, I bet you can swear in quite few different languages, you will have to show us.
Jen look a wee bit stressed and you looked upset, try to enjoy the rest of your holiday
Love
Mumsy and Delsy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

Jen was drinking some very sour orange juice... and I was a little moody!

SD