Wednesday 24 August 2011

24th August 2011 - The Storm & Buoyancy World 2.0

So,

As the full moon rush starts to quiet, I had started another Rescue course with 3 divers and it started pretty normally... While I was on the boat teaching, Jen went to the construction area to start building our "Coral Wreck"..

During my standard boat day.... Jen was involved in building the a new structure for Buoyancy World 2.0...



During the time Jen was on land, I was having a exciting time! The wind had come in, and the water became extremely choppy. As we went to leave the dive site, our mooring line became caught in the boat propeller! With the captain and boat boy panicking, I ran to the back of the boat with another instructor. With the back of the boat turned to the waves, they were smashing through the back deck all through the bottom deck and straight into our engine bay... Kitting up, with a tiny cooks hatchet in hand, I moved to the back of the boat to jump in... When I got there, I saw a massive wave about to hit us. I held on to the back deck ladders and the wave hit me full force... It was awesome..

I had managed to hang on, and not wanting to wait for the next wave to crash into me, jumped in, and descended. Under the boat, the prop was totally caught up in mooring rope... so Mike and I set to work cutting the rope, but a few metres away as the boat was smashing up and down in the water above our heads. Suddenly after what seemed like an age, the rope snapped.... Watching the prop, all the rope fell away luckily... and it was free and clear... We surfaced and got back on the boat (not easy with those waves!) and headed back to Crystal, with the waves slamming against us... Not your average day!

Anyway, the next day, Jen and I headed to the Buoyancy World construction area and continued with James, Olly and Nathan to build.. its starting to come together!



2 comments:

Roy said...

Nice update bro...Still busy by the looks of things!

Yvonne said...

Sounded abit scary, take care, Del and I wish you two a very happy anniversary. xxxx