Wednesday 8 June 2011

6th June 2011

Up early, we packed our bags and headed down to Zest for breakfast.  I ordered while Simon shot down to the pier to confirm our tickets on the Lomprayah. The boat left at 10.15, so we had plenty of time to have breakfast, buy some essentials for our trip.

On board, I dozed whilst Si read his book.  Before long, we'd arrived at Chumphon.  Making our way down the rickety mile long pier, we were met by a Andaman representative who then shuffled us quickly into minibus.  As there were only 3 passengers we had ample space to stretch out.

Not long into the journey, I knew that there was no way that I could sleep, there were no seat belts and the drivers foot must have been made of lead.  Due to the speed that he was going I literally had to wedge my feet against the seat infront and hold on with either hand.  Overtaking on most bends, squeezing between lorries with cm's to spare ..I was a nervous wreck.  At one point the other passenger paid him to slow down, not that that helped.  Finally after the 3 hour minbus journey from hell, we arrived at Ranong only to realise that we'd missed our departure date by 1 day, infact all of us had, so we then had to go back in the minibus and go to the immigration office to pay a 500baht fine, sign some paperwork and then hop back in the minibus for another 10 minute journey back to he ferry port.

Once over to Burma, passports stamped, it was time to head back.  I was so looking forward to the drive back  NOT!!!     After we all spoke to the driver, to SLOW DOWN he finally did and we arrived safely back in Chumphon at the Farang bar (English bar) around 7pm where we able to relax, eat and were taxi'd to the night ferry which left at 11.30pm.
The ferry was very simple, we each had a mattress half a meter wide with the smallest of pillows, not that I wanted to put my head on it but we were lucky, the boat wasn't that full, so spread ourselves out.  The annoying thing was that I needed the toilet a few times and had to clamber over everyone in the dark, stooped, as you couldn't stand, then navigate down a tiny staircase, over all the supplies of food and yet more people to finally reach the loo.    

We finally arrived back on Koh Tao just before 5.45am and headed straight home to bed.

1 comment:

Roy said...

It sounds like a nightmare journey that I wouldn't want to repeat to often!