Wednesday 11 May 2011

8th - 11th May 2011

 We've both been teaching Reef Check, which is a 4 day course. 

Mornings have been spent in the classroom talking about the study of corals, what are they why are they important, optimal conditions for growth, health, threats, data collection so that we can see what state of health our reefs are in, and watching video clips and in the afternoons we've gone diving identifying corals and collecting data.  Not forgetting the all important exams ;-D

Reef check is probably one of the best courses we've been on.  After completing this course, it made us look at diving in a completely different way.  Before, I just wanted to see fish, the bigger the better, turtles and the likes, but now it's like it's opened a window to a different world, the symbiotic relationships, our dependancy and the importance coral reefs plays in the survival of the planet.   I hope I'm not going on, but it's really interesting :-D  It's just a shame that we don't have more people signing up doing the course.  

Tomorrow we are having a day off and then the day after, we're teaching Marine Resource Management, thats a 6 day course going into even more detail. We shall take some piccies for you.!

x

JD

3 comments:

Roy said...

It sounds like an interesting course to go on. I will consider it myself if I ever get back into diving. x

Roy said...

I put a comment on this post yesterday and it's disappeared??
Reef check course sounds like an interesting one to get on. I would certainly consider it if I manage to begin diving again.

jenny said...

Blogger went nuts for a few hours... now I can't sign out of Jens account...

weird.!

And yes.. Reef Check is super educational... very rewarding!