Friday 22 April 2011

18th April 2011

The day had finally come to remove some of our new structures from the beach and get them to Junkyard to continue our ever expanding dive site.

We built the structures a couple of weeks ago, but other tasks needed to be completed before we deployed the new structures, like moving the anchors back after they had moved 120m in the floods a couple of weeks ago.



We struggled with the weight and awkwardness of some of our creations and eventually got them on the longtail.. Sadly, due to the lack of turnout, there were only 4 of us to do some seriously hard stuff... and I was still unable to swim or dive!


I drove out to the newly replaced Junkyard buoy in the longtail (getting pretty good at that!). For the first time in a long time, the visibility was fantastic. I could see the bottom of the ocean from the longtail boat.. shame I couldn't get in....

Jen, Julia and James pulled and pushed the boat into the correct position before tying off. This took an extreme effort on all their parts, and I commend them for the constant kicking of their fins for about 20 mins dragging a huge boat into our exact "drop zone".

All 3 of them went down to tie off the other end of the rope to our drop zone area, with a warning from me that the boat was sinking as there was so much weight on it. After 15 minutes, James returned to find me bailing out with a bucket, fighting against the water coming in. I was a tad stressed...

James and I shifted the objects from the boat as fast and safe as we could. guiding the structures down to Jen and Julia who would untie them at the bottom. Once the weight was off the front of the boat. I started the bilge pump... and to my relief.... it actually wored for once!

Returning tired, we had lunch and headed out again with Nathan after a short rest.

In the evening, we met with Birthday girl Tina at Dolce Vita for food and then to Vibe for a couple of drinks... the Eco team were shattered, and all 4 of us were falling asleep on our 2nd beer... so went to bed at 10pm!

2 comments:

Roy said...

Interesting blog post, bro. I hope the ear gets better soon. Love from all here x

Grumpette said...

Well done you all. i can't believe you hade to get rid of the water with buckets! :) Sure it must have been frustrating, but I think I would have laughed a bit. I wish I was there to be the 5th helper...