Saturday 27 February 2010

Day 24 - Koh Tao

As usual Simon was already working by the time I got up.  Connection hasn't been great but he's struggling on through.  I made tea and pottered about for a bit.  Heidi popped down to see if we wanted to go snorkelling at 'Shark Bay', as Si was busy I went on my own.   Alan was already down in town having a massage, so Heide drove their jeep down to Crystal so I could pick up my fins and mask, threw them in the boot and then waited in the shade for Alan to turn up.  He parked up his bike and jumped in the jeep and we headed off.

After parking and walking down some monstrous steps, we got our gear on and jumped in.  It wasn't long before we saw some black tip reef sharks, a trigger fish happily munching away (thankfully) and the biggest puffa fish I've seen in a long time. Conditions for snorkelling were perfect.  Black tips were everywhere, I think in one count there were about a dozen or so, nothing compared the 40 which Alan and Heidi saw last week.

I've only been to Shark Bay a couple of times, the first time I only saw a couple but only briefly and the second time, none at all, so seeing so many around me I felt a little nervous and apprehensive that they were going to attack  ...but they were just chilling taking no notice of us at all.  There were couple of times when Heidi and I turned around and one would swim between us  ...Awesome!!
The funniest thing I saw down there was a chaps privates as he attempted to mermaid swm underwater and his trunks ended up around his knees.  I pretended I didn't see and ended up nearly choking with laughter
Two or so hours later, after getting a burnt butt, we swam back and dried ourselves and climbed the humungous steps and clambered in the jeep.

Back home, Si was still working!!

After a 11hr day, Si had finished and we showered and headed out to 'Vibe' for a beer or two and then ended up moving to the 'Fizz' and another beach bar where we met Nathan (Eco man) & Teresa (Dive Master Trainee) for more beer, eco chats and then around 11pm we left to get a takeaway and head home to watch LOST

Jen x

5 comments:

Yvonne said...

I hope the trigger fish were munching on food and not your leg, strange things you see under water, good job the fish did not think it was bait. ha ha

Roy said...

So, you saw the only meat and two veg in the ocean...

Roy said...

Oh, I see Simon has managed to put some wigdets on the blog.....at last!!

Unknown said...

Gotta keep up with your high tech blog... !!

jenny said...

Not the most pleasant sight under water LOL!!!